Sunday, December 28, 2008

Revisiting the 1992 NBA Draft

I've always loved to go back and see how things turned out from past NBA drafts. It's fun to go back and look at who turned out great and who were the underachievers. I'll go ahead and start off what should turn into a series with the 1992 draft. I picked this draft because it's the first one I really remember very well. Of course I remember the 1990 draft with Derrick Coleman being picked first, and 1991 and that Larry Johnson was the first pick from that draft, but that's about all I can remember from those drafts. As for 1992 though, I had become a much bigger basketball fan from college through the pros, and I really knew who the players were that were being drafted. So, without further ramblings, I give you my reordered first round of the 1992 NBA Draft, team needs not being taken into consideration. Actual draft number in parenthesis.

1. Orlando - Shaquille O'Neal (1)
2. Charlotte - Alonzo Mourning (2)
3. Minnesota - Latrell Sprewell (24)
4. Dallas - Christian Laettner (3)
5. Denver - Jimmy Jackson (4)
6. Washington - Doug Christie (17)
7. Sacramento - Tom Gugliotta (6)
8. Milwaukee - PJ Brown (29)
9. Philadelphia - LaPhonso Ellis (5)
10. Atlanta - Robert Horry (11)
11. Houston - Hubert Davis (20)
12. Miami - Anthony Peeler (15)
13. Denver - Clarence Weatherspoon (9)
14. Indiana - Byron Houston (27)
15. LA Lakers - Oliver Miller (22)
16. LA Clippers - Walt Williams (7)
17. Seattle - Todd Day (8)
18. San Antonio - Harold Miner (12)
19. Detroit - David Wesley (undrafted)
20. New York - Brent Price (32)
21. Boston - Matt Geiger (42)
22. Phoenix - Bryant Stith (13)
23. Milwaukee - Malik Sealy (14)
24. Golden State - Tracy Murray (18)
25. LA Clippers - Jon Barry (21)
26. Portland - Don MacLean (19)
27. Chicago - Adam Keefe (10)

I used more than just the stats for the players when I picked them. Guys like PJ Brown had long and very successful careers, but never put up huge stats, but I think that there's plenty of players out there who could put up better numbers without having as successful of careers. I used my knowledge of how good they were as players all around to make my decisions. It's probably not perfect, but I'd like to think that it's pretty darn close.

No comments: